I am extending you the invitations for the live webinar on “HIPAA and Patient Engagement – Easy-to-Follow Rules for Email & Text Messaging” that we are hosting with Compliance Key. If you are already registered, I apologize for the extra communication.
I wanted to take a moment to highlight the key features of our webinars and the speaker delivering this session.
Topic:- HIPAA and Patient Engagement – Easy-to-Follow Rules for Email & Text Messaging
Date & Time:- Thursday, 22nd February 2018 at 01:00 – 02:00 PM ET
Patient Engagement is a cornerstone of effective patient care. Communication technology offers indispensable patient engagement tools. Secure patient portals are available. So are encrypted text message and email products. But patients overwhelmingly choose non-secure communication tools like text messaging and email.
Appointment reminders, healthcare instructions, patient satisfaction surveys, health and wellness newsletters and recall reminders are just a few patient engagement tools sent electronically by regular (unencrypted) email and text messaging.
Why should You attend this webinar?
Learn how to use email and text messaging and comply with HIPAA. The HIPAA Rules for sending Protected Health Information (PHI) by unencrypted electronic transmission are clear – and new. The first became effective with the HIPAA Omnibus Rule (September, 2013). Further, important guidance was published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 2014 and 2016.There is a simple 3 step HIPAA “safe harbor” that frees Covered Entities and Business Associates from any responsibility or liability for unauthorized access to Protected Health Information (PHI) in unencrypted emails and text messages during transmission and after receipt by the patient.
There are widespread violations of the HIPAA Rules for communicating with patients by unencrypted email and text message – largely because Providers and Business Associates just don’t know the rules – and don’t understand what PHI really is – as defined by HIPAA.The HIPAA Rules and HHS/OCR guidance provide a simple, easy to use 3 Step Safe Harbor for using unencrypted email and text messaging to engage patients. This session will explain the 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor.
The secret is – HIPAA Rules are easy to follow, step-by-step – when you know the steps?
Areas Covered in the Session:
This webinar for HIPAA Covered Entities and Business Associates will cover:
- A clear explanation of the simple 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor that protects Covered Entities and Business Associates acting on their behalf from liability related to Patient Engagement by unencrypted email and text messaging.
- What makes an email or text message subject to HIPAA law.
- A clear explanation of how HIPAA defines PHI – it’s not just information about, for example, a diagnosis, disease, surgery or prescribed treatment.
- How a 2015 Federal Communications Commission Order about health care text messages added to confusion and what it really means the 3 Step HIPAA Safe Harbor is the only text message Safe Harbor for Covered Entities and Business Associates.
- The interconnected liability of Covered Entities and Business Associates that provide unencrypted electronic patient engagement services like appointment reminders – and both can protect themselves.
Paul Hales is a Keynote Speaker at Compliance Key, Inc. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Columbia University Law School and is licensed to practice law before the Supreme Court of the United States. He is an expert on HIPAA Privacy, Security, Breach Notification and Enforcement Rules…read more
Take a look at our webinar library:
If you have any questions, my line is always open.
Compliance Key Inc | Training made easy…
P: 717-208-8666 Ext: 100
This email and any attachments there to may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you believe you received this e-mail in error, please click here to remove yourself from my mailing list.